Did you know there are about 360,000 home fires every year leading to roughly 2,200 deaths? In addition, nearly 11,500 ER treated fire injuries are reported each year.
- Create an escape plan. Make sure there are two ways out from each room and a clear path to outside from each exit.
- Make sure everyone in the home knows the plan.
- Pick a family meeting place outside.
- Once outside stay outside.
- Practice the escape plan two times a year.
- Have working smoke alarms inside and outside each sleeping area and on every level of your home.
- Replace smoke alarms every 10 years.
- Make sure fire sprinklers work.
Little ones in the home as well as elderly family members or family members with special needs will need additional assistance during a fire emergency. Make plans to help them get out of the house. For more information, check out CPSC’s multigenerational tool kit.
You can also find more fire safety tips and information in our fire safety information center.